More than a year ago, I started playing with the Bela board. At the time, I had issues compiling Audio ToolKit with clang. The issue was that the gcc shipped with the Debian image the BeagleBoard used was too old and didn’t fully support C++11. The one that ships now is GCC 6, which is even C++14 compliant. Meaning that everything is available to build Audio Toolkit with Python support.
ATK is updated to 2.3.0 with major fixes and code coverage improvement (see here). Lots of bugs were fixed during that effort and native build on embedded platforms was also fixed.
CMake builds on Linux don’t have to be installed before Python tests have to be ran. SIMD filters are now also easier to implement.
ATK is updated to 2.2.0 with the major introduction of vectorized filters. This means that some filters (EQ for now) can use vectorization for maximum performance. More filters will be introduced later as well as the Python support. Vector lanes of size 4 and 8 are supported as well as instruction sets from SSE2 to AVX512.
This is also the first major release that officially supports the JUCE framework. This means that ATK can be added as modules (directly source code without requiring any binaries) in the Projucer. The caveat is that SIMD filters are not available in this configuration due to the requirement for CMake support to build the SIMD filters.
Recently, I took on two classes online on two different providers. After a trial more than a year ago, I decided to try MOOCs and I have a few conclusions from them.
ATK is updated to 2.1.0 with a major refactoring of the Python wrappers and extensive testing of them. New filters were also added to support more complex pipelines (mute/solo and circular buffers for real-time spectrum displays) and Audio ToolKit provies now a CMake configuration file for easier integration in CMake projects.
Vinyl has become trendy again, and as such, I’ve been asked to add some new filters in Audio ToolKit. Here is a small dive in RIAA land.
This review will actually be quite quick: I haven’t finished the book and I won’t finish it.
The book was published in August 2015 and is based on OpenGL < 3. The authors may sometimes say that you can use shaders to do better, but the fact is that if you want to execute the code they propose, you need to use the backward compatibility layer, if it's available. OpenGL was published almost a decade ago, I can't understand why in 2015 two guys decided that a new book on scientific visualization should use an API that was deprecated a long time ago. What a waste of time. [amazon_enhanced asin="1782169725" /][amazon_enhanced asin="B01FGMWRO8" /]