It is time to start looking at the processing of night photos. I’m going to start with the end of the workflow, as it’s simpler to explain.
UniversalSyncDelay is a Patreon-only plugin, although the source is freely available. It is similar to the UniversalDelay plugin, but with a delay synchronized to the tempo.
In the previous entry, I just stacked 58 photos without any additional thoughts to get a nice simple photo. It is time now to go one step further. What are the steps required to stack astrophotos together?
I’m a white, cis and athletic male, the archetype of a privileged person. Sometimes we thing that it’s being woke to try to figure out when we do have them. I reviewed a book about race, read others about gender, but I didn’t think about my build. Well, I was wrong.
It’s been a while since my last update, and here is ATKUniversalDelay rewritten using JUCE and with support for AUv3 and the M1 architecture.
It’s currently available on Github.
Our immune system has been quite a central topic the last couple of years. When Philippp Dittmer wrote his take on the subject, I was interested, as Kurzgesagt is one of the best science Youtube channel there is!
Well, not too much background noise at least!
I love photos, and I’m beginning to get into astrophotos as well. One issue I face is how to get long exposures from the sky when you have light noise. I want to see arcs in the sky, but the longer you expose, the brighter the background becomes. The same problem occurs if you are using a polar tracker, you get more light, but also more noise!
So I decided to get a small script together to generate images like this one:
It feels a little bit artificial because the noise is minimal and because there are not that many small stars, but it’s a good start. The script is very easy, it just reads all images from the command line pattern, and then gets the maximum pixel value for all pixels across these images. Saving in “result.jpg”, and this is it!
|# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-|
|import numpy as np|
|from PIL import Image|
|loaded = [np.asarray(Image.open(img)) for img in images]|
|if __name__ == "__main__":|
|r = np.max(readFiles(glob.glob(sys.argv)), axis=0)|
The script doesn’t try to align images at all, as we want to see the arcs (at least I want to!), so to use this script, you need to capture many images on a tripod and a remote control.
Anyway, easy, there may be other small scripts like this in the future, who knows.
Andromeda is a Patreon-only plugin, although the source is freely available. It is based around the Andromeda variation of the Noble ODR-1 pedal.
After the Windows update, I finally updated the MacOS versions of my preamplifiers. To register the Audio Unit v3, you just need to launch the app, which was the step I was missing.
I’m happy to announce the update of my two MT2 emulations based on the Audio Toolkit and JUCE. It is available on Windows (VST3) and macOS (min. 10.11, x86_64 and ARM64, VST3 and AUv3). The main change is a proper Audio Unit v3 support and native M1 build.
These plugins require the universal runtime on Windows, which is automatically deployed with Windows update (see this discussion on the JUCE forum). If you don’t have it installed, please check Microsoft website.
On MacOS, you need to run the application that gets installed with the plugins to register the Auv3.